Work of Hands

Monday, April 17, 2006

Hands Bring in the Ocean

Rolland,
one of the core members
at L’Arche
had just returned to Ontario
from his two week holiday
in Nova Scotia.

We were standing beside
the kitchen counter
sharing news about the trip.
“I’ve brought you a present,”
Rolland said.

I closed my eyes,
and stretched out my hand -
two little pebbles,
and a story
came to rest in my palm.

“I was so afraid of the big waves,
but I went in, and got them for you,”
he said, looking at me.

two stones
picked for me,
cradled all those miles,
in pocket, suitcase and hand.

“Thank you!” I said,
my salt-doll self,
dissolved in an ocean
brought in by hand.


Note: L’Arche is a community for persons with special needs founded by Jean Vanier. ‘Core member’ is the term used for persons with disabilities, because it is they who are at the core of the community.

Anne Escrader

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home